Sunday, November 30, 2008

Culture in Brooklyn

Yesterday I wanted to visit the Brooklyn Museum specifically the exhibition Gilbert & George. It was for free and started at 1:30pm. So I decided to leave at 12:30 to take the express train to brooklyn, I thought I should arrive at about 1:15pm. But the express train was a local train on this cold but sunny saturday. So I arrived at something past 1:30pm. Because I've never been in Brooklyn I decided to make a trip through the district. And i've to say that i loved it. It's such a beautiful area with so many different kind of people livin' there. It was really interesting to move along the Fulton Mall, listen to so many different musics like gospels, hip hop or mainstreamstuff. Everybody was target as 'Bro' or 'Ey man'. And it was really cheap there. I bought some doughnuts (2 for $1) filled with strawberrys. It was so awesome delicious I was motivated to went in the store again and buy more of this great food. But then I remembered my the empty wallet and decided to go ahead ;-)
I went into a small museum, called Museum of Contemporary African Diasporan Arts. It was a very nice place with very friendly and open minded people. I connected to a to an artist, called Russell Frederick. I'm very sad that the homepage written on his business card does not work, but I want you to welcome him as a new reader of this blog ;-) [update 12/03/2008: it's working: kamoinge] I was very impressed of the exhibition. It telled the story of the movement "I AM A MAN", taking place in the 60's of the last century. It was among other things about the perception of the white man to the black man. well, it's hard to express it in English. The goal of this movement (connected with Martin Luther King) was to remind all people that black men are not only 'Bro's', gangster, hip hopper or well-equipped lovers but also philosophs, teachers, hard workers and fathers.
See the following description for further information:
The pictures were all very impressive and expressive. The best one was "iMAN Divine" by Rah Crawford: and the most impressive was "Freedom or Else" by Jarnett Shabazz:
This text was very interesting ,too. Maybe you want to take a deeper look at it.










If you want to go to Brooklyn the next weeks, take a look at this exhibition. It informs you in a very interesting way about the american history, with pictures, a movie and sounds.

In the evening my roommate arrived with some aother guys and we had noodles with peanut butter, apple-pie with ice-cream, chocolade-cake and american beer. We were so filled up after eating the whole evening - it was great :D Bedides eating we played an very exciting game called Clue(do). While playing the game I learned some new (important) words like rope (Strick zum Erhaengen) or wrench (Schraubstock). There's also a film named Clue, published in 1985, which I will watch during the next month i think :)
Tomorrow I will go to work again - after I had 4 free days in a row :) I slept about 40 hours, discovered a museum, went over the Brooklyn Bridge was very happy about some wishes for a happy first advent by my dad :), had some very sweet candies, american beer ..................... and started to read The Silmarillion written by J. R. R. Tolkien. It's so fascinating to read it - I need two more days off to finish it *gg* I'm so happy that I have some time to read, listen to music, walking around and thinking and dreaming about different stuff after the really tough last months - it's almost beyond words :-)
Have a great week and thanks for joining the blog - hope you enjoyed it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to comment in detail, but then I had a look an the clock which said: YOU ARE NOT IN THE USA - GO TO SLEEP! So I decided to comment it tomorrow ;) Good Night Bro!

PS: HipHop in the sixties? XD

Anonymous said...

Hey!
Ich wünsch dir jetz erstmal: Frrrroooohe Weihnachten und einen guten Rutsch!
Du hast ja ne megatolle Zeit, total spannender Blog!
Jetz hab ich ja Zeit und kann alles Lesen was ich verpasst hab....
Im Gedenken an deine Glühwein-Knappheit werd ich heut abend ein (dampfendes, duftendes, leckeres) Tässchen auf dein Wohl trinken ;-)

Viele Lg, Tani